Market Overview: The Village Market, The Village East
Located in The Village East, The Village Market is a great hub for a quick grocery trip. This location is mainly a mini-market, but also has a selection of prepared food and drinks. With many healthy options, this is a great place whether you are looking for microwave meals, a quick coffee, or lunch from the grab and go. The Village Market also has many options for students with special dietary concerns, such as food allergies or vegetarian/vegan eating styles.
- Good variety of all foods
- Fruits and veggies (fresh, frozen, canned)
- Dairy and eggs
- Nutritional bars, crackers, cookies, snacks
- Ethnic foods
- Breakfast cereals and oats
- Prepared salads & sandwiches
- Coffee bar with a pastry case and a smoothie bar
What is there for vegans and vegetarians?
- Vegetarian/vegan “meats” and tofu (burgers, deli “meat”)
- Dairy-free milks, cheeses, cream cheese, butter, and frozen treats
- Pre-made, and freshly made, dairy-free smoothies
- Frozen vegetarian/vegan meals (pizzas, wraps, bowls)
- Microwave vegetarian/vegan meals (quinoa/veggies, noodles, pasta, soups)
- Pre-made sandwiches, yogurts, salads, fruits, veggies, pastas, etc.
- A variety of snacks and treats (cookies, crackers, nutritional bars, chocolate)
- At the coffee bar, you can order your drink with almond or soy milk
- The smoothies at the coffee bar are vegan
What if I have allergies?
- Gluten-free items are available: breads, muffins, cookies, cereals, crackers, snacks, oats, granolas, nutritional bars, frozen meals, microwave meals, soups, pastas, etc.
- Dairy-free items are available: milk, butter, cheese, ice cream, cookies, smoothies, frozen meals, soups, etc.
- Peanut-free items are available: almond butter, cookies, etc.
- Soy-free items are available: see lists above.
- Remember to look at labels, and to ask the dietitian about specific dietary needs. HDHDietitian@ucsd.edu